Friday 3 May 2019

The impact of malnutrition on childhood infections

Almost half of all childhood deaths worldwide occur in children with malnutrition, predominantly in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. This review summarizes the mechanisms by which malnutrition and serious infections interact with each other and with children's environments. This study involving not only lack of nutrients, but also other risk factors such as exposure to pathogens, lack of access to healthcare and poverty. This focusses on under nutrition among children in low and middle-income countries, with a focus on diarrhoea and pneumonia, the other commonest childhood life-threatening infections worldwide. 

Malnutrition
Malnutrition is deficiency, excess or imbalance in a person's intake of energy and/or specific nutrients in relation to their requirements. Recently there has been increased focus on the use of mid-upper arm circumference by which provides better predictive value for mortality. However, cut offs to define malnutrition by MUAC based on its relationship with infectious disease or mortality outcomes had only been validated and used amongst children aged 6–59 months. Severe malnutrition can also be defined by the presence of kwashiorkor, a syndrome that is characterized by nutritional oedema, skin depigmentation, inflammation, sloughing etc.

Malnutrition may result in to a diet low in energy or specific nutrients, a wide range of antenatal & postnatal environmental exposures, acute infection, chronic illness or psychosocial neglect. Child malnutrition is the single and biggest contributor to under-five mortality due to greater susceptibility to infections and slow recovery from illness.


Children who do not reach their optimum height or consistently experience sessions of weight loss during childhood are affected in the long term infections. They do not reach their optimum size as adults, their brains are affected which results in low IQs and they are at greater risk of infection which kills may children during their early years.

Child malnutrition also impacts on education fulfilment. Vitamin A deficiency reduces immunity and increases the incidence and gravity of infectious diseases which results in increased school absenteeism. The degree of cognitive impairments is directly related to the Iron Deficiency Anaemia and severity of stunting.

Maternal malnutrition increases the risk of poor pregnancy outcomes including premature or low-birth-weight babies, obstructed labour, and postpartum haemorrhage. Severe anaemia during pregnancy is linked to increased mortality.

Low-birth-weight is a significant contributor to infant mortality. Moreover, low birth-weight babies who survive are likely to suffer growth retardation and illness throughout their life. Growth-retarded adult women are likely to carry on the vicious cycle of malnutrition by giving birth to low birth-weight babies.

1 comment:

  1. Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete